Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Fresh Start-Introductions

Here I am writing in a brand new blog for my brand new business. I am so excited about this! I look forward to what this blog is going to hold, the information, the insights, the stories.
Let me introduce myself to you:
My name is Jeanne Call. I am a woman of many interests.

I:

  • Love hiking and biking outdoors
  • Consider myself a distance runner on hiatus
  • Am a wife and mother
  • Am a nurse
  • Am an advocate of healthy living
  • A seeker of truth and knowledge
  • Love reading
  • Love feeding people yummy food
  • LOVE a challenge...if it is considered difficult, you can bet I will try my hand at it!
  • Love water, trees and rain (I am a transplant from the Pacific Northwest)
  • Love coaching, mentoring and teaching
  • Have tried my hand at many crafts and am master of none
  • A music lover
So that is all fine and dandy, but why am I here? Why am I starting this blog, a coaching/mentoring/consulting business? It's a long story...I'll share a short version at this point to give you a bit of an idea.

I have worked in the field of nursing since 2003. I spent nearly 10 years working in various positions at a Residential Treatment Center for adolescents. I loved working with the kids. I learned so much about how state of mind truly affects health. 
During the time I worked at this facility, I got my Registered Nurse Licence and most recently my Bachelors degree in nursing. 
I also went on my own health journey. I was truly healthy with no concerns until the age of about 24. Then things went down hill from there. Doctors kept telling me that all my labs were normal but what I was experiencing was another story. I have been to several doctors. First came the diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Then, I fought being pre-diabetic because I really didn't want to be diabetic. My weight was all over the scale despite my efforts to eat carefully and exercise properly. Over several years time, health providers said my thyroid was on the low end of normal, but not too concerning. Then a few years ago, a nurse practitioner tested me for thyroid antibodies, and the test came back very positive. She spent about 5 minutes giving me the diagnosis, and told me I should eliminate as much stress from my life and realize that I will probably get sick all the time. I left her office, feeling broken, in shock and like my life was pretty much over. I got home and started searching on the internet. I made a decision that I would not let this get me, and I would find a way to be healthy. I have tried many different things, studied countless of hours and am still learning. However, I am learning how my body works and the individual needs I have. I am learning to recognize what I need nutritionally, and emotionally. My life is not over. In fact, it is just beginning! This is the message I have for everyone else who leaves the doctor's office in shock. Don't give up, there is so much YOU have to give! Let's band together and strengthen each other up!
I can't wait to hear your stories, to share the things I have learned and am learning, and to work with you. 

Remember, you are awesome!

Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. :-) thanks for connecting on Google+ in my community .. look forward to your new posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I am just learning how all this interconnectedness works...there's a bit of a learning curve! Thanks for posting here! ;-)

      Delete