Monday, March 2, 2015

Maintaining health with essential oils during the cold season

When I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's, the health provider told me that I would be more likely than the average person to get sick and I would also get sicker. That was not something I was just going to accept.
I studied and learned about a bunch of things I could do to combat that. One of the ways I started experimenting and finding success with were essential oils. This is not to say that they alone have done anything, but they definitely play a role in supporting my state of health.
I have read that it is important to use essential oils with caution when you have autoimmune disease. I find that if I keep my nutrition fairly clean, exercise and keep my stress levels controlled, my body is stronger...just like anyone. However when I start getting that nasty feeling that tells me I am getting sick, or I am around sick people, I have a routine that helps me a ton in strengthening myself against the unseen invaders.
As you may know, I use doTERRA essential oils. They have some oil combinations which I find particularly helpful. Breathe is great for soothing the discomfort of a stuffy nose or a cough. On Guard is wonderful when you have a sore throat or when you feel like you are starting to get sick. DigestZen works wonders for helping with sinus pressure. Tri-Ease is one more that I haven't tried, but will next time I have a congested or runny nose. I heard from a friend it really helped soothe stuffy nose discomfort. 
I am not able to tell you how these oils work or what specifically they do as I am not a doctor. However, take a minute and go look it up for yourself. There is a lot of information available when looking for the science behind essential oils. I will tell you that it is the science of the oils that got me interested in them. Once I started using them, I found that the research was supported by my own experience!
While I cannot go into specifics, the results speak volumes. 
A few suggestions in using essential oils for the cold and flu season:
  • Be consistent
  • Use them several times daily when you feel like you are starting to get sick. They are a lot more effective the sooner you use them when you are getting sick. If you wait until you are absolutely miserable, they will help some but not to the same extent.
  • Improve nutrition, stress control and other self care habits
  • Use them as you feel they are needed. You can reapply as often as every half hour.
  • Pay attention to your body's reaction. If you have a negative reaction, don't keep using it.
  • Remember that small amounts go a long way. A drop is a serving. There is enough in one little drop to support every cell in the body. 
  • Many times it is good to dilute with a small amount of a carrier oils, like olive or coconut oil. When you have sensitive skin, this will help to not irritate the skin
If you have any interest in learning about how essential oils can help support your health status, let me know and I would be happy to help you learn how to figure it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment